EXPLORING THE WORLD OF HOMESCHOOLING

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

She Eats Bananas, Eggs, and Yes, Chocolate

I'm singing the Picky Eater Blues lately. My girl is oh-so meticulous about what she chooses to put in her mouth. When it comes to dinner entrees we are down to three or four things. Pasta with butter, cheese, and broccoli that she picks out. Couscous with butter, cheese, and peas that she picks out. Scrambled eggs will do in a pinch. (And it's always a pinch. Perhaps I should start raising hens.)

Until very recently Amelie even rejected pizza. I was outraged. A child who won't eat pizza? So I went to work on this. (You would think that I'd choose a more valiant crusade, like kale or spinach. But no. I wanted a normal, pizza-eating child.) And wonder of wonders, she eats some pizza now. But only broccoli pizza. And she won't eat the bread. She carefully picks off the broccoli and cheese and eats those. Just to keep me on my toes, it seems. (Though I suppose I did choose the right crusade.)

I get such a high when Amelie eats something green. It's quite a feeling, like I've just won an all-expenses-paid vacation for two to sunny Jamaica. It's a level of euphoria that's entirely out of proportion to the situation.

Oh, and my girl has so many rules - ridiculous rules! Have you ever heard of a child who will only eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches while she's riding in the car? I swear, if I put a pb&j on a plate in front of her at the table, she won't touch it. But I'll stick it in a baggie and five minutes later, as we're rolling down the block, she'll munch it happily en route to the store or playground. Same for baby carrots. She only eats them when she's in motion. When I put them on a plate, alas, they lose all their sex appeal.

The New York Times recently ran an article called Picky Eaters? They Get It from You. I read it with a guilty sense of recognition. Yes, I was the child who would eat only spaghetti with red sauce. Apparently this is an evolutionary response - a survival mechanism designed to prevent us from ingesting potentially dangerous things. So I suppose I should be more understanding of Amelie's finicky nature, and proud to have such a Darwinian masterpiece of a daughter.

An accompanying article called The Experts Suggest offers a few strategies for us meal-challenged parents. It seems I'm doing everything wrong: Making Amelie a separate dish instead of serving her what her parents eat, and resorting to bribery (if you eat some spinach I'll let you watch that video!).

Well, it's back to the cutting board tonight. Onward I go, clinging to the slender hope that my girl will eat something green, transporting me to a kind of bliss unknown even to the most deeply meditative and enlightened monks of the Himalayas....

11 comments:

Holly said...

I don't buy the "they get it from you" stuff (and DS eats everything, so I'm not saying it because my kids won't eat). But, there's families with 2 kids, one eats, the other doesn't.

Anyway, my friend Chelle posted today on her blog about one of those cookbooks that sneaks veggies in. She's not really into sneaking veggies in, but she got the cookbook to review. Here's the link if you're interested http://soodz.com/blog/ .

Wendy Kagan said...

Thanks for pointing out your friend's blog, Holly - it looks great. I've seen a lot of press about that Jessica Seinfeld book recently. It helps to have a celebrity hubby, doesn't it?

It's not that I have to sneak in veggies. Amelie isn't just picky about virtuous foods. She's picky about ALL foods. I mean, pizza and pb&j? It's enough to make a mommy weep. But then she'll go and eat her broccoli like a champ. It's unpredictable and quite baffling.

Anyway, thanks for the new blog to read. And I'm enjoying yours too.

Fourmother said...

I have one who will only eat pizza without cheese and sauce. Basically he eats bread. He compliments his brother who will not eat the crust.

Anyway ds7 will not eat any tomato or dairy products at all, period. Except catsup. Can you imagine calling Pizza Hut to order a pizza like this? I'm sure you can imagine the wailing & gnashing of teeth which results when they mess up the order. So now we make it ourselves on Friday nights so we can eat actual pizza and he can eat bread.

Wendy Kagan said...

I feel your pain, Fourmother!

Colleen Paeff said...

Amelie sounds a lot like my son Jerry. I had always hoped he would grow out of his picky eating but, believe it or not, he's twelve now and he has actually cut foods OUT of an already slim menu (one of them, much to my dismay was PB&J!). He's eaten the same dinner every night for the last two years: cheese quesadilla, black beans, white rice, either alone or with broccoli, green beans, carrots or corn. He's also a buttered pasta and cous cous eater--that's what he has for lunch every day.

This summer he went to sleep away camp for three weeks and I thought for sure he'd be forced to expand his palate. Would you believe he didn't eat the first three days and ended up in the infimary!? After that the cooks kept buttered pasta in the kitchen for him, which he ate for lunch and dinner for the entire time he was there!

I saw that NY Times article too but I already knew my genes were at work. My mom's curse must have worked. He's just like me. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Wendy. The picky eater thing is a nightmare. I have one child who eats everything. Anchovies are one of his favorites. The other will eat practically nothing if it isn't white. Pasta, plain. Rice, plain. Bread, plain. Skinless apples and pears. Only under enormous peer pressure did he give into pizza (though he tries to scrape off the tomato sauce when no one's looking). I feel your pain. Amelie will probably grow up to be a gourmet (on wheels)!

Wendy Kagan said...

Colleen, wow. I can't believe the summer camp episode. But at least the burrito has many different items in it. Lots of food groups covered there!

EB, yikes!

How's this for a mommy mantra: "It's just a phase. It's just a phase. It's just a phase...."

I feel better already.

Marla said...

At least you can say she has great taste since she loves chocolate! What a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the recipe. I'm making these muffins for a finicky 8 year old and--just checking -- really no eggs in the recipe?

Jeanie

Wendy Kagan said...

Hi Jeanie,
Yes, really no eggs in the Carrot Cake Muffin recipe! Enjoy.
~Wendy

Anonymous said...

you might want to look into a book called How To Prevent Childhood Eating Problems by jane Hirschman. Its an eye opener. Food can become such a control issue..this book shows you how to diffuse it.

n