EXPLORING THE WORLD OF HOMESCHOOLING

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

An Award, Just When I Need It Most

My husband has never outgrown his childhood love for superheroes. A classic portrait of Superman hangs over his desk, and he never misses a film adaptation of his favorite comic book characters. He can tell you about Spiderman's childhood with a biographer's accuracy, and he knows all about obscure superheroes like The Sandman and Ghost Rider. Now I get to tell my husband that he is in fact married to a superhero, or more precisely, a superheroine, as Fourmother has honored me with a Wonder Woman award. Hence the nifty bouquet of roses and winged "W" insignia.

It couldn't have come at a better time. I could really use some super powers right now. Michael (the aforementioned hubby) is away on a business trip, a ridiculously LONG business trip, and I am now experiencing life as a Single Mother. Ahem. A Single Working Mother. And it is not easy.

I may not have an invisible jet or gold bracelets that can deflect bullets, but I do have a few other secret weapons. I have the Madeline videos that I rented from the library, which can buy me a little time to send work off to a client. I have a hidden stash of chocolate that can stop a tantrum in mid-screech. I can do a pretty good Cookie Monster imitation. And I have an iPhone now - yes, that exorbitantly priced little gadget - which lets me respond to work emails from the playground so no one has to know that I'm not at my desk. Linda Carter, eat your heart out!

But I could use more, many more super powers to get me through this week and all the way to Monday, when hubby will stumble off his red-eye flight and back into our lives. I could use super powers to fill the fridge with nourishing meals for the next few days. I could use super powers to scrub my daughter's potty, keep raccoons out of the garbage, and fold more goddamn laundry. I could use super powers to stay loving and kind toward my hubby despite his maddening absence.

On a happier note, I would like to pass the Wonder Woman award along to Colleen of The New Unschooler for her intrepid foray into unschooling with her 12-year-old son. She tells us in her blog that she just had a birthday, so I think roses are in order. Besides, her boy will be really impressed to hear that his mom is a superheroine.


5 comments:

Holly said...

Ah, the dreaded single parent status. I'm retreating to my sister's house next week when DH goes out of town. Wishing you fortitude :-).

Wendy Kagan said...

Thanks, Holly! Good luck next week.

Fourmother said...

I'm with you on the #$&%ing laundry. They can put a man on the moon, and fancy little robots on Mars but they can't make a dryer that folds the laundry.

Colleen Paeff said...

Hi Wendy.

Thanks for passing the Wonder Woman award on to me!! I can't tell you how much it brightened my day. :) And my day needed brightening in a bad way!

I can totally relate to the life of the single (but married) parent, by the way. I wish you a smooth transition (and breakfast in bed!) upon your hubby's return. :)

Wendy Kagan said...

Tell me about it, Fourmother! I want a fancy little laundry-folding robot.

Colleen, I am so glad to hear that the award brightened your day. You deserve it!