EXPLORING THE WORLD OF HOMESCHOOLING

Friday, October 12, 2007

3 a.m. Musings, and a Recipe

I can't sleep, so I have redesigned my blog. I've been meaning to do this for some time. It was just, well, too PINK.

What's with the pink, anyway? I never used to like the color particularly, but after I gave birth to a girl child, I started putting it everywhere. This is embarrassing but true. I fell into the pink trap. I latched onto the girlie-girl hue as a way of announcing to the world that yes, my nearly bald, androgynous infant had two X chromosomes, thank you very much. (Why is it so important to most of us parents that people recognize this? I suppose we want even passers-by in the street to know at least the bare basics about the amazing being that is our child.)

So, away with the pink. Except for that pink ribbon of sisterly support. THAT can stay.

Anyway, in the spirit of mommy bloggers always looking to share the latest domestic coup, I am going to offer one of my family's favorite new recipes now. (Yes, this is a complete non sequitur. I am writing this at 3 a.m., so you must forgive me. Try these muffins, and you will forgive me. They are delicious. And besides, I needed a reason to post the image at top of my domestic-goddess-in-training. You will notice that she is wearing a PINK top. Though I prefer now to think of it as a subdued salmon color.)

Carrot Cake Muffins

2 cups shredded carrots (approx. 6 carrots)*
1/2 cup raisins
2 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 coarsely mashed bananas
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup orange juice
3 Tbsp honey and/or 2 Tbsp molasses
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper baking cups. Brush or spray with canola oil.

Mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, ginger, and cloves in one big bowl.

In another bowl, mix the banana, oil, orange juice, honey/molasses, and vanilla until well blended.

Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry, blending well with each addition. Stir in the carrots and raisins.

Spoon into the muffin cups and bake 40-45 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

*Note: Use a food processor (not a hand grater) to shred the carrots or you will begin to despair, and to curse me for sharing this recipe with you. And I wouldn't want that to happen.

By the way, this is a modified version of a recipe from Healthy Cooking for Kids. Enjoy.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These muffins look great. Thanks for sharing the recipe Wendy.
xxo
EVB

Wendy Kagan said...

I hope you like them, EB! xo W

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy,

Just wanted to see if my query of yesterday got through. I was checking to see if the recipe really did not have eggs or if it was a typo. Thank you! you can respond to artfully108@yahoo.com.

Jeanie