EXPLORING THE WORLD OF HOMESCHOOLING

Monday, July 9, 2007

Out and About

We're already doing it, aren't we - this homeschooling thing? Amelie at just two already has a full schedule: gymnastics for tykes on Monday, library story hour on Tuesday, social time and art at the Sunshine Club on Wednesday, playgroup on Thursday, toddler music group on Friday. Michael took this picture at Little Gym today, catching Amelie in a rare pensive moment between swinging and tumbling.

This is the kind of life I want for my little bean: rich, full, active, completely engaged with the world. My heart is telling me not to coop her up in a school, but if we do homeschool Amelie I don't want the "home" part to take over. I have a fear, perhaps irrational, of what I call "festering around the house." So can we think of a better word than "homeschool," please? Lifeschool, loveschool, getmeouttadahouse school?

2 comments:

tara said...

I think that is wonderful. It sounds like an amazing schedule for a little girl. We did similar stuff when Sam was that age--lots of out and about time.

One tough patch is when the kid turns 4 or 5 and lots of their friends start disappearing into preschools/kindergartens, and lots of daytime kid activities start being scheduled on evenings and weekends (i.e., to accommodate schooled kids). Around that time, we put more emphasis on our local homeschool group, socially, to help compensate for the loss of time spent with friends who were now in school most of the time.

You have a lucky little girl there. :) Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Wendy Kagan said...

Thanks, Tara! Yeah, I've often wondered what happens when all the other kids go off to school. We'll definitely have to cultivate a local homeschooling group....