EXPLORING THE WORLD OF HOMESCHOOLING

Thursday, July 19, 2007

On the Move

My girl is always in motion. Even as an infant she found ways to get around. When she learned to roll over she used it as transportation, sometimes rolling across an entire room.

I've been reading about the connection between movement and learning in a book called Montessori: The Science Behind the Genius, and it makes perfect sense. Maria Montessori recognized the absurdity of sitting kids down at desks all day and "learning at them." She championed mobile, hands-on schooling - the kind that actively engages kids. Take a look into a Montessori classroom and you won't see any desks; instead kids move about to work at different stations, alone or in groups, throughout the day. How refreshing. The kids seem like artisans, absorbed in their chosen tasks, instead of like factory workers on auto-pilot. Where was Montessori when I was a kid? Not in my town.

If school taught me anything, it was inertia. I was not allowed to leave my desk so I had no choice but to master art of utter passivity. Even gym was, in a sense, passive: It did not teach me joy in movement. And television after school strongly reinforced this lesson of inertia over and over again.

At two my daughter literally dances with life. There is a freedom to her limbs, a sense of boundless energy entwined with joy. Am I going to let her dance card run out when school age hits? Not if I can help it.


6 comments:

K said...

Hey, On my blog you asked me this: Just wondering: Who is it that you're quoting in the 3rd paragraph?

I am quoting myself, but writing I did earlier on the Denim Jumper. I wanted it in quotes because some of my family might of felt it was too pointed.

Wendy Kagan said...

Aha. Pretty sneaky! I understand why you'd want to do that, though. It's tough to negotiate the public/private realms on blogs, isn't it?

K said...

It is. Could you tell it was me? Was that way too obvious? Or just too juvenile? Because today I am thinking it was cowardly. It seemed simpler at the time.

Are you liking blogging?

Wendy Kagan said...

I wasn't sure whether or not it was you. I think you succeeded in being ambiguous.

I'm really enjoying blogging, yes. I just wish I had more time for it. I'd like to post more. How long have you been at it?

Funny to have a conversation in the sidelines like this!

K said...

I have been blogging a several months. But my kids are older and I have much more "free" time than I imagine you get. Regular Mom kind of inspired me. Being a housewife is so isolating. Blogging fills that silence for me, in a way I enjoy. I think blogging was a natural progression from all the writing I used to do on the DJ.

What a gift the DJ is, especially when you are starting out. I'm happy you found us and I enjoy your blog. : )

Wendy Kagan said...

Thanks, Katherine, that's so nice to hear. Yes, the DJ really is a gift. It was complete luck for me to find it and to meet fresh-thinking (and yes, inspiring) people like you and RegularMom.