EXPLORING THE WORLD OF HOMESCHOOLING

Friday, July 13, 2007

Big Pile o' Books

I've got some reading to do. Here's my list-in-progress. Now I just need to get me some TIME to read them. Have I left anything out? Let me know if you have a favorite.

Teach Your Own by John Holt. They say this is the unofficial treatise for homeschooling from the granddaddy of the homeschooling movement. I expect it to be an empowering read, filled with encouragement for parents who've "got the bug."

Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense by David Guterson. A former English teacher, Guterson also wrote the evocative fiction bestseller Snow Falling on Cedars. I hear he has issues with the word "homeschooling" (me too - see my last post!). I'm looking forward to getting his dual point-of-view as a teacher both at home and in a traditional classroom.

Better Than School: One Family's Declaration of Independence by Nancy Wallace. Thanks to Tara of Eames Learning Project for telling me about this in her comment to one of my posts. She says, "
Rather than a how-to guide, it's a slice of her life as a homeschooling mom in the 1970s in New England, back when homeschoolers had to deal with much more pushback than we do now." I'm looking forward to learning about Wallace's "unschooling" philosophy.

Punished by Rewards by Alfie Kohn. This guy turns a traditional schooling model on its head, pointing out the failures of using punishments and rewards (like gold stars and A's) to promote lasting change and real learning. Instead Kohn champions collaboration (teamwork), content (meaningfulness), and choice (autonomy).

The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling by Rachel Gathercole. Imagine: A book that says homeschooling is the right way to socialize your kids! This book is coming out at the end of July.

The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise. I hear this book offers a game plan for a Classical approach to homeschooling based on the "trivium" (grammar, logic, and rhetoric).

The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook by Dr. Raymond & Dorothy Moore. This was suggested to me on a message board at the Denim Jumper. Apparently the authors have an approach that's low on stress/cost and high on creativity/initiative.

No comments: