EXPLORING THE WORLD OF HOMESCHOOLING

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

School A La Carte

I'm amazed at all the misconceptions floating around out there about homeschooling. People assume there's only one way to do it - a method akin to some half-baked attempt at "school at home," with the parent, having no formal training, taking on the stern role of teacher for everything from phonetics to pre-calculus.

No, thanks. That's not what I'm signing up for. I'd die of boredom and my kid would, too.

Instead my husband and I are attracted to more of a "school a la carte" method. We imagine our daughter taking a little bit of learning from here and a little bit from there, according to her tastes and to what is available in the world around us. As it turns out, there's quite a bit available out there.

I joined a local homeschoolers' Yahoo group this summer, and since September has rolled around the emails have been pouring in about all kinds of classes and programs in the area. Like this one:

Recycled music, Thursdays, 12-12:45 AM, ages 8-10
Want to put that old chip bag to use? Join Zoe Rowan in an introduction to lutherie (instrument building). The class will use cheap and recycled materials to build simple instruments such as drums, reed pipes, and a cigar box "guitar." Students will also listen to and discuss music from around the world. Final class will end in a group jam session. $50.00 + $10.00 materials fee.

How cool is that? Here's another:

Space! Thursdays, 10-10:45 AM ages 7-8
Nita is back! Join her for this fun class about the cosmos. Students will be using children's literature and activities to learn about outer space. Students will work on a lap book about the solar system and other topics. $50.00

Can adults come too?

Really, it's enough to make me wish my daughter were older and ready to homeschool RIGHT NOW. Then again, she's a super-cute two-year-old. There's no rush. But it sure is good to know what's out there waiting for us.

3 comments:

Freakmom said...

Ooh, I want to take the space class too! I bet I can't pass for 7 though. LOL

Our area has so many options for homeschoolers too. It is nice for the people who question their "socialization" you simply start listing them all until their eyes glaze over. But it is easy to overdo it and burn out. We're currently in lay back and relax mode...

Robinella said...

Love her drawing. My 3yo is really into smiley faces. It developed nicely from the circles that he started with.

ditto freakmom. You do have to pick and choose or you will forget where and when you should be. :-)

Wendy Kagan said...

Thanks for the good advice, Freakmom and Robinella. I love the idea of listing all those activities as a counter to the socialization bugaboo! But I can see how one might overdo it with the activities. Easy does it.