EXPLORING THE WORLD OF HOMESCHOOLING

Thursday, August 2, 2007

I've Been Memed

When I started blogging several weeks ago, I had only the vaguest understanding of blogging culture. I just chose a topic and sent a few posts out into the ether. So I'm surprised and delighted to find that I'm making a few blogging buddies out there. Virtual friends! It's a cozy feeling. The blogosphere isn't such a scary place, after all.

Anyway, I might be new to blogging, but I do realize that "meme" is not really a verb. It's more like a game of "tag, you're it." I responded to RegularMom's meme post, so now she has presented me with five questions to answer. And then if someone comments on this post, I get to meme them back with five questions for them to answer on their blog. Fun.

So here goes.

1. What’s the funniest or strangest thing that happened on your wedding day? Michael and I wanted to low-key it with a small, secular wedding at home. He is allergic to weddings, and I had already done a biggish bonanza the first time around. So we enlisted a local Justice of the Peace to do the honors. We met her once and she seemed nice enough. She had a sweet little script that she let us read beforehand. So we knew the ceremony would be brief. But we didn't know that it would be a drive-by wedding. It really was. Just when the ceremony was set to start, a car pulls up at our place and out of the passenger seat comes the Justice of the Peace. Her friend, the driver, stays in the car. Was the engine still running? That's how I remember it. So out comes the Justice of the Peace, adjusting her robe, and joins our little gathering on the lawn. She performs this tiny service, three minutes, maybe five, tops. And then she jumps back in the car and POOF - she's gone. But this woman is an artist. By the time she leaves, just about everybody is crying. And Michael and I are husband and wife.

2. Are there any artistic talents out there that you WISH you could do, but just aren’t gifted with? Oh, I tried so hard when I was a kid to draw and paint as beautifully as my father does. With some practice I did passably well. I'm rusty now and can hardly draw a simple horse on demand for my two-year-old. It comes out looking like a demented dog. But what I really wish I could do was sing, really belt it out like Aretha Franklin.

3. What is your favorite time of day? It depends on where I am. When I am in Greece (I have been five times) my favorite time is sunrise. You can see the day break open over the sea in the most spectacular way. But here in mid-state New York, with all these trees and hills, you can't see squat at dawn. I suppose right now my favorite time of day is when I realize that my toddler is finally asleep. Tonight it was 9:35 p.m.

4. Describe what you did yesterday. Yesterday was a good day. Since the hubby was traveling, I took my little girl over to this place called the Sunshine Club Playhouse so that I could work for a couple of hours in the morning. They have great toys over there so she was in heaven. I did some editing work and also managed to squeeze in a yoga practice before I picked up Amelie. I am a much nicer person after I do some yoga. Amelie and I had lunch and I took her to music class with Uncle Rock, our local treasure. Rock-and-roll toddler music. It was a blast. Amelie is not one of those kids who sits still and listens. She rocks out! Then we had some quiet time at home, and later two girlfriends came here with their kids for dinner. We had a lovely little feast with a bottle of Pinot Grigio. Amelie really wanted to taste the wine. She is going to be a party girl.

5. Coke or Pepsi? Coke. Although I have to say, it's been a while. I practically marinated myself in Diet Coke when I was in high school/college. I'm afraid to think of what it's done to me. (Not the Coke part so much as the Diet part. Yeesh. What was I thinking?) These days I grab an Izzy natural soda. Every once in a while I get a little hankering for a Coke. But never that Diet crap. I'm so over it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

drive-by wedding! *snort*

Most guys I know would have loved your wedding!